Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Faves - Gardein Garden Protein


In our house, the ultimate test of a new recipe or food product is "the mascot test". If it passes muster with the kid, it goes into regular rotation. The Dijon Breasts by Gardein (part of my Thanksgiving plate of goodness, above) are the latest to get the mascot's 2 thumbs up.

I am pretty choosy when it comes to "convenience foods", but these are perfect for those rare nights where we have to get dinner on the table AND they meet all my criteria: healthy, healthy, healthy and delicious. The marinated, meat-free breasts are low in fat, cholesterol free and a good source of both protein and fibre. Plus, they are generous in size and cook up in a flash. (In fact, it took me longer to boil the water for my tea than it did to heat up 2 pieces of "fick'n", as the mascot has dubbed it.)

Gardein makes a full range of meatless substitutes for chicken, beef and pork. I have also tried the chick'n strips and thought they were excellent. See the Gardein website for more info, recipes and a list of retailers.




As it is World Food Day, I thought I would share this message from the Gardein website: global food demand will grow 50% by 2030 and there will be significant need for more protein. we think gardein™ is part of the solution. we believe eating more plant-based foods builds good health and is good for our planet too. it’s part of the reason why we like to say, goodness grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment