Thursday, October 22, 2009

Everything Has a Story

It has been said (ahem, Emily and Ruth) that I have a story for everything. The antique, channel-back tub chair in my living room? I discovered it hidden under a blanket at a yard sale, talked the owner into selling it to me for $20 (it wasn't for sale) and reupholstered it as my final project in Upholstery class at RRCC. The rusty railway spike on the bookshelf? Jake carted it around in his backpack for a year before it was found (after an exhaustive search) by airport security in Bellingham, Washington. It’s no wonder that I have such an emotional attachment to my stuff!

That’s why the concept of the Tokyo-based "Pass the Baton" store caught my attention. Unlike other second-hand stores, Pass the Baton ensures that an item's pedigree isn't lost when it finds a new home. The story is literally passed along...get it?

I think it's brilliant; buyers not only get a cool, "new-to-me" item, but they learn a little bit about the objects’ past owner and an anecdote or two about the item itself. Then, in turn, when asked about their find, they can say more than “Oh, I bought that second-hand. I don’t know where it came from…”

On a personal note, story or no story, I am beyond covetous of the picture blocks that they currently have on their site. Exactly how much is 2,800 yen?



I love this quote from the Pass the Baton website. “…there is simply too much. Too much unwanted excess and too much regretful loss. Why not eliminate borders and corporations, and discover the value of personal culture? Cultivated carefully over the years, it’s something to be treasured and shared. Creating something new is a wonderful thing, but taking good care of an object that is already there can be magical. Old ways, current personal values, and future treasures for someone new.”

2 comments:

  1. and once again.... a wonderful story - love that store's concept!
    oh, and I had to go look it up
    2800 yen is $31.9788CAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad...but do I *neeeeeed* them? ;-)

    ReplyDelete