Wednesday, July 8, 2009

that's one thirsty cow!

As if I needed another reason to go veggie...I just heard that it takes around 16,000 litres of water* to produce 1 kg of beef. Compare that to 9,000 litres to produce 1 kg of corn. Crazy!

A few people have asked me recently why I have stopped eating meat. I should say, first off, that I haven't entirely stopped. I still eat fish and seafood, and occasionally chicken, but my red-meat consumption has been cut down to almost nothing. My main reason for going veg is a combination of health, eco-mindedness (see above), and personal taste. But, mostly it's just that the effort and resources that go into producing and processing meat is lost on me. Taking all the fuss into account, I would honestly rather just eat a beet.

I still cook it for the mascot, but when I do I choose high-quality, organic meat as much as possible. I also have a personal belief that if an animal gives its life for your dinner, then the very least you should do is honour it with careful and thoughtful preparation.

*based on 3 years of care and feeding

No comments:

Post a Comment