Friday, July 17, 2009

friday faves - tom's of maine toothpaste

TGFFF – thank goodness for Friday Favourites! I have been waiting all week to wax poetic about my very favourite toothpaste – Tom’s of Maine. I bought my first tube a few months ago and I have been a super-fan ever since. First of all, I heart the company for their high-quality natural products, but also their “upfrontness” in regards to ingredients and desire to educate the consumer. I am a big-time label reader, so this stuff really matters to me!

Back to the toothpaste…to be honest, I was a bit surprised the first time I used it due to its lack of sweetness. It was minty, yes, but definitely not sweet. I wasn’t sure that I liked it at first, until I realized that what I *don’t* like about other commercial brands is how unbelievably cloying they are. I find that no matter how much you rinse, most leave a weird candy taste in your mouth. Good if you like candy, I suppose, but bad if you just want your mouth to feel clean. Once I got used to the non-sweetness of the product and embraced the extra-freshness of the natural peppermint, I was hooked.

The other big difference with Tom’s is how well it cleans your teeth and how long the “just brushed” feeling lasts. The ingredient responsible here is silica, derived from natural sand, and calcium carbonate which work together to gently and effectively clean and whiten. For the first week that I was using the Whole Care toothpaste, I couldn’t stop obsessing over how smooth my teeth felt. (Now I just take it for granted…)

And, finally, I have to admit that one of my most-favourite thing about Tom’s toothpaste is the old-schooly metal tube. Unlike plastic tubes, you can actually roll it up as you go and get every. last. drop. Love it.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment