Friday, September 11, 2009

friday faves - st norbert farmer's market

This week’s Friday Fave is one of my “zen places” – the St Norbert Farmer’s Market in St Norbert, Manitoba. I try to go as often as I can, although sometimes it’s hard to get out there early-early on a Saturday morning. That said, I have never been disappointed by a visit and it's always worth the effort. If figure that since the farmers are good enough to get up early for me, I should return the favour for them!

Waiting for me at the market each week is an ever-changing variety of vegetables (including the radishes pictured), fruits, crafts and baking; as colourful as the people who flock to the market to buy them. The people watching is (almost) as good as the shopping!

I have my usual vendors, but my absolute favourite is my “green bean & corn lady”. I always stop at her stand first and load up on her amazing green beans and sweet, peaches ‘n’ cream corn. If I am lucky, though, she’ll have her “Fred” corn for sale. No word of a lie, it is the best corn in the whole, wide world. Last week, the Fred crop wasn’t ready to harvest, but I still managed to snag two “picked just for me” cobs. It pays to have connections!

Sadly, the season will soon be coming to an end. I have enjoyed watching the progression of the selection – from the first, tender greens of spring to the hard-skinned sturdy squashes and gourds of fall. Each week is a surprise and I can’t wait to see what tomorrow has in store for me. Or, rather, in “market” for me.

(My fingers are crossed for more Fred.)

No comments:

Post a Comment