Friday, September 18, 2009

friday faves - organic maple flakes

Equinox Organic Maple Flakes are one of my favourite things in the pantry. They are Canadian, organic, and addictively delish. Just like me! ;-)

The maple flakes are made in Quebec from 100% pure, organic maple syrup. The freeze-drying process used to create them results in small, crunchy, sweet flakes that are fast dissolving, shelf-stable and do not harden in the bag. They are also surprisingly low-cal (about half that of sugar) and lower on the glycemic index than sugar and many other sweeteners.

I'm sure you could sprinkle them on all sorts of things (pancakes, waffles, french toast...), but I like them on oatmeal, ice cream, and as part of a dry-rub for salmon. I find myself reaching for them more and more; any time I need a touch of sweetness, but something with a bit more character than sugar. I've even got the maple flake grinder for when I want a finer product that dissolves instantly - perfect for fresh berries.

Check out the website for more info and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment