Thursday, April 22, 2010

25 things we can live without…or can we?

I found this list on the Planet Green website and thought it would be fun to post...with my comments, natch.

Plastic wrap -- Instead, use a container with a lid.
Agreed. I haven’t bought plastic wrap in, like, forever. I do heart ziplocks, though…and I reuse them to death, so it's ok. Ish.
Tin foil – Use an oven-safe pot or dish with a lid.
Disagreed. I heart foil. Used judiciously, it's a big help in the kitchen. It makes clean-up a snap…and it’s recyclable, too.
Disposable cleaning cloths, dusters, etc. – Use a microfiber cloth that can be washed.
OMG! Was there life before the Swiffer?!?! (Yes, yes there was. When I was a kid we would cut up my dad’s old t-shirts for dusting.)
Paper towels – Use a tea towel, instead.
Ermmmm…guilty as charged.
Disposable pens – Buy a good pen that only needs the ink well changed.
Ok, yeah no. I’m not there yet. I do, however, try to buy better pens so that I’m not constantly chucking out duds.
Paper plates – Washing dishes may be an effort, but it’s worth it.
Yup. And, really, if you have a 12-year old kitchen slave, it's no effort at all.
Plastic cutlery – Use the metal stuff.
Ditto. (Although I will admit that I have a secret fetish for plastic spoons.)
Disposable razors – Invest in a razor that only needs the blades changed.
I have a bone to pick with the razor companies – their constant “innovating” has left me with a box of obsolete razor handles!
Packaged fruits and vegetables – Produce does not need to be packaged.
Yes and no. I buy a lot of bagged/boxed produce that I wouldn’t buy if it was sold “loose”…like snap peas and baby spinach. Some stores (I’m looking at you T&T) go beyond silly with their saran-wrapped styrofoam trays of, well, everything.
Individually wrapped snacks – Snacks travel better anyway in a hard container.
Yes…and the same goes for individual yogurts.
Juice boxes – Put juice in a reusable container (not plastic).
Juice? Apples and oranges are full of juice. Eat one.
Electric pencil sharpeners -- Use the hand-crank version of days gone by.
Oooh...now I want a hand-crank sharpener. (Although, I guess my sharpening needs aren't that great...I've been getting by with one of those little hand-held ones.)
Disposable diapers -- Cloth diapers aren't that much more difficult to use.
(Says the person who has never washed a bucket of dirty diapers or traveled with a baby.)
Disposable cloths – Fabric cloths can be washed regularly to avoid bacterial or viral build-up.
Key words – wash regularly.
Paper or plastic single-use grocery bags – Get a few reusable bags.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Bottled water -- Install a water filter on your tap or pick up a water jug with a filter.
We have broken ourselves of the bottled water habit. It helps that Winnipeg tap water is good.
Non-rechargeable batteries – Make the investment for rechargeable batteries and you’ll save money in the long run.
Will do…just as soon as I get through this case of IKEA AAs.
Electric can openers – Use a little muscle.
Lol. Again, is this an issue?
Single-serving pudding or yogurt cups – Buy a large container of yogurt or make your own pudding, and send it in a reusable container.
Oh, I spoke too soon. BTW...the big yogurts are cheaper, too!
Plastic cups – Stick to reusable cups.
I’ll see that...and raise you a coffee cup!
Disposable table cloths – Spills are a reality of life; just clean them up as they happen.
Better yet – wipeable placemats.
Antibacterial wipes – If you must, use a gel hand sanitizer.
I disagree, but for a different reason. I'm not big on anti-bacterial products. Just use soap and water.
Facial tissues -- Unless you have a bad cold, a handkerchief will work just fine.
Ermmmm…or a sleeve, if you’re 12.
Paper billing -- Switch to e-billing for your bank statement, credit card bill, utility bill, etc.
Or, better yet, pre-authorized payments. I have a problem with the “out of sight, out of mind” thing. I like to stay on top of my bills, but emails are SO easy to ignore.
Plasticized sticky notes -- Use the original paper sticky notes; they can be recycled when you're done with them
What? Is there such a thing? Are they for leaving notes in the shower?

No comments:

Post a Comment