Thursday, June 25, 2009

recycling day!

I recently noticed that they've stopped calling it "garbage day". It is now "recycling day"; no doubt an effort to encourage recycling...and I think it's working. Driving up my back lane this morning, I was happy to see that every single house had a blue box full of paper, plastics, and glass carefully set out beside their black bag of garbage.

Our house had two blue boxes, which I'm not sure is something to be proud of, or embarassed of. On one hand - good on us for being such diligent recyclers. On the other hand, though, what the heck are we buying that is generating TWO bins worth of packaging? Some things I can't (and won't) give up, like my boxes of pre-washed, hand-fluffed organic baby greens. And my tetra-packs of veggie stock. And the new diet passionfruit soda that I recently discovered...But, I suppose there are things that we can do without. The massive bundle of flyers and ads that arrive every Thursday. I haven't put out the "no flyers" sticker yet for two reasons - the neighbour who delivers the flyers is really, really nice and I need the Michael's coupon. The latter can be solved by printing the coupon online, but I'm still not sure what to do about snubbing the lady across the street. (She calls me "mum", for Pete's sake!)

I think this calls for a meeting of our home's "green committee". (Oh, I can just feel the mascot rolling his eyes as I type this.) Our challenge - pick 3 things out of the bin and make a plan to get rid of them forever.

http://www.recyclenow.com/what_can_i_do_today/top_tips_for_more.html

No comments:

Post a Comment